Hello and welcome to the wonderful Acorns! In Acorns we currently have two members of staff, Mrs Brandreth the class teacher and Mrs Meaney our amazing teaching assistant. Acorns are the youngest children in the school, ranging from Years 2 to 4.
Our Summer topic is ‘Our Local Area’. We will explore our school environment using first-hand observation and experience to ehance our awarenmess along with essential map skills and fieldwork.
In English we will be reading the book Eric, written by Shaun Tan and will be asking, ‘What would Eric think about Oakgrove and our local area if his spaceship were to land here?’. We will be learning how to write a persuasive text about our local area, with a specific focus on our local parks. Our lessons will continue to focus on improving our ‘high 5 sentences.
Letters and Sounds. We are following the ‘Letters and Sounds’ programme to help us recognise, recall and use phonemes. Some of our Year 2 children will be taking part in the phonic screening check this term. You will find useful games and resources at the following website: https://www.phonicsplay.co.uk
There is some expectation that all of our children read or share books at home. If your child reads at home 4 times a week, they will receive a Reading Raffle ticket, which enters them into a draw held every term. Everyone, loves the Reading Raffle, as participants can win games, books, day trips and other exciting prizes.
In Maths we follow the White Rose scheme of work. We will be covering the multiplication and division and fraction units, consolidating our learning to help improve our confidence. Our year 4 children will be taking part in the multiplication tables check in June. All of our children have login access to two online maths games called SumDog and Mathletics, which can be accessed from home. You will find the username and passwords on the inside cover of your child’s home-school diary.
Our PE focus for this term will be Strike and Field. We will be learning how to:
- copy, remember and repeat simple skills with control and co-ordination
- pass a ball accurately to a partner over a variety of distances
- perform a range of rolling, throwing, striking, kicking, catching and gathering skills, with control
- show a good awareness of others in running, chasing and avoiding games, making simple decisions about when and where to run
- vary skills and show some understanding of simple tactics
- choose and use tactics to suit different situations
- react to situations in a way that helps their partners and makes it difficult for their opponents
During our sessions, we will also look at evaluating and improving our performance and describe how our bodies feel during different activities. Our PE lesson is on a Monday, please can we ask for indoor and outdoor kits to be in school this term. We have a Boogie Bounce session every Tuesday and will be taking part in our school ‘Daily Mile’ run / walk to help us to keep really healthy and be ready to learn. This term, Acorns will also be going for swimming lessons every Thursday morning.
In Science, we will be learning about Living Things and Their Habitats. We will be:
- exploring and comparing the difference between things that are living, dead, and things that have never been alive
- identifying that most living things live in habitats to which they are suited and describe how difference kinds of animals and plants, and how they depend on each other
- identifying and naming a variety of plants and animals in their habitats, including micro-habitats
- describing how animals obtain their food and from plants and other animals, using the idea of a simple food chain, and identify and name different sources of food
We are really looking forward to another exciting term, and will be working extra hard to earn the prestigious ‘Class of the Week’ Oakgrove Owl!